How far apart do YOU plant?

thisismelissaMay 18, 2008

Tasha's post about moving plants "already" got me thinking.

As you are planting a new hosta garden (with relatively small plants (6 eyes or less...more likely 1-3 eyes), how far apart would YOU plant?

With the hostas I planted this weekend, I think I was around 24-30 inches apart. Last year, the first phase was planted around 18-24 inches apart, knowing FULL WELL that likely next year (2009) I may have to start thinking about thinning out my garden. But I really am anxious for that "mature" look to a garden, i.e. touching hostas.

What YOUR preference for how close to plant a new hosta bed?

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
omoelegba

Melissa,
I, too, was motivated to plant my new hostas last year TOO close to each other, trying for that "fuller" look; needless to say, I have spent the last 2 weeks moving every single hosta farther apart. It hasn't been 6 months and they were already encroaching upon each other. I moved all the big ones as far back along the fence as possible & managed to give each one at least 1 more foot of clearance. Eventually, these must be dug up & divided, as I have managed to fill up almost every nook in my garden. I will try to post pics so that you have an idea. They say patience is a virtue; it's better to space them apart & wait the 3-5 years it takes them to reach full maturity, than to have to dig them up & move them. My two cents.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 8:06AM
Tasha Key

2 1/2 to 3 feet. And I know I'll still have to move some around when they get bigger. But, they should be able to stay put longer this way.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 8:11AM
woodthrush(z4PA)

I do a little of both. Some are really close because I want the 'drift' look as they mature. And others I've planted alone with 3-4 feet between them, so they'll stand out on their own. My 'some day' project would be to edge the whole property line with them.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 8:12AM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

When I plant a new area, I try to plant the "good ones" where they will stay, and fill in with bits I cut off the edge of "ordinary" hosta that are fast growing and that I have lots of....hosta like golden edger, august moon, krossa regal, antioch and varoius undulatta. Then when the "good ones" grow I remove the ordinary ones....well that's the plan anyhow!
Linda C

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 9:09AM
woodthrush(z4PA)

lol - yeah, then comes fall, and you are trying to plant all those new babies that have been in pots all summer, squeezing them in here and there, and the 'plan' goes out the window - lol
Pam

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 9:25AM
esox48(4/MN)

I usually plant them four feet apart unless they are really big, then maybe five feet. On occasion, I'm down to about 40 inches depending on the setting.

So far, I don't have any hostas touching in my yard, and I don't really want any touching. It may happen this year. There's a Daybreak that is getting dangerously close to a monstrous (60-plus inches last year) Abba Dabba Do, which went from 30 to 40 eyes this year and who knows what the width will be.

Another combo to watch is a Sun Power and Blue Angel planted 5-1/2 feet apart. They were only about a foot apart last year. The Sun Power has gone from 16 eyes last year to 24 now.

Basically, I like to look at them one at a time.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
YEA PIPS!!!!!!
Oh, wait a minute, those are tulips. : {
Jon 6a SE MA
HOSTAS FOR UNDER TREE IN LOUISIANA (B.R.)
This will be my first year planting hostas so you could...
bcurry1
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
Who's going to the Annual AHS convention in Raleigh?
I live about an hour and a half west of Raleigh. Anybody...
zkathy
Sponsored Products
Garrison Polished Nickel Eight-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Brunello 37 diam. in. Wide Bottom Planter - Weathered Terracotta - A269534
$420.53 | Hayneedle
Tall Garden Wire Cloche
$24.99 | zulily
Clemson Tigers Feather Flag
$16.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Organica Black/Natural 9 ft. x
Home Depot