Bag Worms/ White Pines

Yellow22(7PA/NJ)July 29, 2004

They are on a main highway, an entrance to an arboretum, hugh pines where a garden of all kinds of flowers grow underneath. I feel like this IPM has failed. I thought a balance would be better where on the inside of the facility there is less flowers but loads of trees and non blooming shrubs this time of year and very few bag worms. Please tell me it's enviromental stress from cars going by because the whole area will have to be sprayed. I tried to pull off what I could in late winter, didn't seem to matter much, now the tress are covered. It such a shame, I feel so defeated. What will attack bag worms naturally for next time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

While, to our eyes, bagworms are ugly they really do little damage to the trees and the opnly real reason to spray is aesthetic. Next year start of by wrapping the tree trunks with a sticky tape to keep Ma Bagworm Moth from climbing up the tree to meet with Pa (Ma doesn't fly while Pa does) and maybe plan on spraying BTK as soon as the first bag is noticed since that only is effective early in the life of the buggers.
Before anyone suggests burning the nests out of the trees DO NOT. The heat from that burning will do more, permanent damage to the tree than the bagworms ever will.

Bookmark   July 30, 2004 at 7:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Yellow22(7PA/NJ)

I've seen Srpuces that were dead dead dead and even the bag worms moved along. I did notice that one of them a day later had attached itself underneath my cushman gas garden cart. They move around on autos. So I know it wasn't because of the flowers. Breathing I think they know when to fall off. Stop at the light, drop, and roll, blow crawl...they made it. I don't feel so bad to use chemicals because to take those trees down would ruin a garden that I've work on so I don't have to spay a ton of roundup.

Bookmark   July 30, 2004 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
TomCat Mole Killer?
Well as of yesterday I discovered evidence of our first...
katefisher
Yellow Jackets in my house.
Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot...
BobbyA
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
Please help identify the insect
Hi all, I have recently discovered that one of my indoor...
cooljelly
Sponsored Products
USMC Tournament Cornhole Set - SM03
$180.96 | Hayneedle
Dushi Doll Stroller - 21852
$77.53 | Hayneedle
CHF Magical Princess Twin Mini Bed in a Bag - 2A746301MU
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Honey-Can-Do Closet Organization 8-Shelf Black Polyester Organizer with Two
$24.11 | Home Depot
Vigneto Custom Fire Pit Table - Cascina (medallion)
FRONTGATE
Kent 14 in. Love Bug Bike - 41401
$77.55 | Hayneedle
3 ft. Premier Micro Suede Fuf Foam Lounger Bean Bag Chair - 0030078L
$144.98 | Hayneedle
Honey-Can-Do Vacuum Sealer - Accessories 2-Pack Medium Vacuum Packs clear
$12.80 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™