Need help with silverfish!

home12July 14, 2011

Would be grateful for any advice about a silverfish problem I have in my new townhouse. I ordered some boric acid traps to put around the house but am particularly concerned about seeing them in my closet and drawers. Would anyone have suggestions on how to deal with them? I have always used Contact paper on drawers but this time, thought plain paper non-scented drawer liners were healthier. I understand that silverfish like paper though.

I'm squeamish about using the dresser until I figure out what to do. Should I rethink Contact paper? Also, I read somewhere that they don't like lavender. Would using lavender-scented detergent (even though I've always used the unscented kind) scare them away? Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The first step in controlling any pest is not to put down some poison, but is to study and learn about 1) what conditions cause them to be present and 2) how to correct those conditions so they cannot breed. Silverfish need warm and moist places to live and grow so look for those types of places and eliminate them. Their food source is varied and includes anything with protein in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silverfish

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 7:09AM
home12

I understand that they need moisture but if a bathroom is next to my closet wall, how is it possible to control it? You would think inside my room and drawers would be dry, wouldn't they?

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 1:54PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

They move from the warm and moist environment to other places in search of a food source. Not even a bathroom should be so warm and moist that it would create a good environmment for siverfish, or any other critter, to take up residence. If your bathroom stays that moist you have other problems that need to be addressed.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 7:11AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

And bear in mind that they pose no hazard to your health.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 9:54AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

While Silverfish may not pose a health hazard the conditions they need to live in can. Hot, moist areas can produce mold spores that adversly affect your respiratory system.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
Chipmunks tunnelling in garden
Apparently it is chipmunks (not the red squirrels we...
hikerwanda
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
Tiny black hairy caterpillars on ceanothus
Leaves on ceanothus (Joyce Coulter, I believe) are...
dawax49
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™