Dropped in a new accent plant by the Great Expectations..

leafwatcher(zone 5)May 11, 2012

should really make each other look good as they spread out..

Wow, after seeing the pic online the Coral Bell looks awful, the camera didn't capture it well ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

Your post is very timely for me. I have 5 Heucheras that I am test driving with GE. I keep putting different ones next to it and taking pics. Walk away for a minute come back and look and say to myself "Nope not a good compliment" lol

I will post a pic when I finally decide. I am thinking maybe another hosta might be better. This is going to be a mixed bed and not my totally hosta garden.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:40AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Hmmm, that heuchera just disappears next to all those high power lights!

Have you tried Citronella? Or maybe some pelargoniums? The solid bright chartreuse of Citronella heuchera should show up like leader of the pack.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 1:58PM
franknjim

A red or light colored mulch will make it stand out more.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 2:11PM
jan_on zone 5b

I find that my dark coloured heucheras are not very photogenic -- they really fade away on film, but they look great 'in person'. Don't know if its me or the camera, but its not the heuchs!
Jan

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:28PM
frostynyc(7)

I have the same issue with dark heuchera. I love them and Obsidian is one of my favorites, but there are a number of problems: 1.They disappear completely on dark mulch and rich topsoil. 2. They tend to look like "holes" in a landscape from far away. 3. They get overlooked next to flashy plants like Great Expectations. 4. Yea, they definitely photograph poorly.

I've found that the dark heuchera look best with blue hostas, as they share those cool tones.

And BTW, your Great Expectations are friggin awesome.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 6:02PM
marquest(z5 PA)

OK, I tried mostly red heuchera/heucherella. I think I am going to go with Sweet Tea heucherella.

What I have read about this Hosta your plants look great. I do hope it is as slow as people are saying. I am using it in a small area.

This is what it looks like with sweet tea.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 11:57AM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

Those colors do look good together... There are quite a few burgundy types that look nice.. we did buy one of the Georgia peach types.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
donrawson
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™