I Want Crickets

snow.moon(6)July 25, 2013

I live in a dense area of Brooklyn. For years I have missed the seductive hum of crickets, as lulled me to sleep in the countryside of my childhood.

Tonight during a long walk I heard a surprising hum emanating from a lawn: Yes, the joyful cry of a cricket. I really had not considered they could live in these environs. But as I now know all things are possible, I would like to introduce them to my garden.

The internet, for once, has not proved helpful. While many people are putting a death wish on crickets, I cannot find information on fostering them. This has also led me to wonder if there is any risk in trying to bring them to my block?

If not, the only place that provides this insect seems to be a pet supply store. Does anyone know if this would be the desired breed? Thank you in advance--

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The crickets sold in pet stores are meant to be a food source for some ones "pet", but bait shops around here also sell them. To have them around you need to create a habitat that will provide them with the shelter and food they need to exist.
Your post reminded me that I have not heard any this year either. That may be a bad thing for our environment.

Here is a link that might be useful: About crickets

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zackey(GA 8b)

We have tons of them in our yard. I love to hear them sing at night. I call it my cricket lullaby. I find them under boards, pots and anything laying on the ground that is undisturbed. I hope you can find a way to get them to stay at your house!

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Please help identify the insect
Hi all, I have recently discovered that one of my indoor...
cooljelly
What animal is digging this?
Saw this a couple weeks ago and it wasn't that bad,...
JackOfSomeTrades
boric acid v. 20 Mule Team borax
My beds, yard, and walkways have been invaded by colonies...
Pirata
Isolating a bed bug colony in my back yard
I recently inherited about thirty boxes of books. They...
Fritzlang
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™