Arigope Spiders

ahughes798(z5 IL)August 7, 2006

Hello, I was hoping someone here could help me. I have a small Iris bed that an Arigope spider has decided to make his/her home in. I have a genuine phobia regarding spiders. August is the month that Irises need to be divided.

How do I make this large, and to me, sickening spider move on? I don't want to kill him/her, I realise that they are valuable creatures in the garden and I garden organically, so Raid is right out, though tempting. I just want spidey to move on for a bit so that I can divide my irises, then it's welcome to come back!

Any help appreciated! Thanks. April

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)

That creepy coloration on the Arigope is a natural adaptation that causes enemies to be intimidated, not want to eat that big juicy spider. Sounds like it's doing it's job! :-)
For this ya gotta call in your resident non-arachnaphobe. Put it in a jar and move it to another part of your garden. They are nature's pest control, but I understand how you could be creeped-out by them. I think they are creepy but awesome!

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 12:20PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you collect her (it's the females that make those incredible webs) on a broom and move her to a new location (where there are shubs, etc.) she will likely set up housekeeping quite happily elsewhere.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 12:22PM
ccox(z8)

Oh, pretty please with sugar on top, find a way to move her. I don't want spiders crawling on me, but your garden spider is a fascinating creature. She rebuilds that web every night and eats all sorts of "Bad" bugs from your garden. The ideas mentioned above are perfect. She'll set up household anywhere you put her.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
DynaGrow Neem Oil application
Can DynaGrow neem oil be applied using a hose end...
luvpatch2
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
Can't get rid of lone rat in my home! Help!
About three weeks ago, I saw a rat running through...
marleysmom44
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™