Is doubling your E.C. with reservoir change dangerous?

widespreadpanicApril 25, 2010

I have an ebb and flow tomato grow:

I changed my nutrient reservoir today and switched from GH maxi grow to using Floramato. My E.C. doubled from .84 to 1.62. I used the recommendation for "fast growing" plants and did not use in either case the most extreme feeding.

Is a dramatic change like this going to have an adverse effect on my plants or is it possible they will be happy b/c I was "starving" them of nutes originally?

Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Greene Tomato

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grizzman

It will probably be a bit of a shock to them at first, but I'm sure they'll bounce back. Tomatoes are weeds. They'll grow through about anything. 1.62 is probably more along the EC they'll like than 0.84 too so I'd say they'll appreciate the extra food.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 9:23AM
lucas_formulas

Why don't you simply play safe and do it in two steps with an interval of 2-3 days. Would that be difficult to realize technically? ;-)

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 12:00PM
ohman11(7)

Don't worry widespreadpanic Lucy is a ass to everyone , he had just about ruined another forum "http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/"; Until he got locked out!

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 2:34PM
widespreadpanic

If my Lucy you mean lucas, I have had an entirely different experience. He/she has only been very helpful to me so far and I probably would have killed my plants by now if not for he/she.

Anyway, Lucas, no I can't step it up in intervals b/c I had to do the reservoir change before I left town for 3 days.

Oh well, they looked ok this morning, we'll see how they look when I get back.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 2:59PM
joe.jr317

I agree that it would have been better to transition slowly to a higher EC unless the goal is to shock (some people do that to induce flowering). But, when time is not on our side, we do what we must. Don't worry about it. Next time, mix a couple gallons of nutrient solution and test the EC. Take note of the EC based on the amount of nutrient you added to the water. I find that the directions on commercial nutrients call for much higher dosages than I feel work best. For example, GH's Flora series usually puts me up around 2 - 2.2 if I follow directions and use rain water. I find 1.6 to 1.8 to be perfect for the variety of tomatoes I use it on (Brandywine and San Marzano Roma's). Like Grizzman said, you aren't likely to hurt them much, if at all. You might even see some explosive growth after a day or two. Depends on the age of the plants.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 10:13AM
outdoor_gardens

Well, it is always safe to slowly transition to a higher EC reading to avoid any unfavorable experience...So, how are your tomato plants doing now?

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 10:22PM
widespreadpanic

They went nuts! Seems they were 'hungry for more'!

I've had to start drastically clamping them to my cages in a spiral fashion so that I don't run out of room too soon.
Check out the link below to my blog for lots of photo updates.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Greene Tomato

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Nutrient Selection
I want to know people's experiences with different...
meenwiz
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
Hydroponically Grown Kale - Convert to Soil?
I bought a package of hydroponically grown kale plants...
eahamel
Using Gravel as a growing media
This thread is created, and only for people who have...
homehydro
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™