Annabelle Hydrangea

gks111June 7, 2008

My plant was established five years ago and spreading. Last summer leaves on some plants wilted, turned black, then the entire stem died. This year the problem is continuing, but even worse. Whatever it is, its spreading from plant to plant. Any ideas? At first it looks like wilt, but watering doesn't really help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

1. Root rot perhaps? When the roots get too much moisture, they can develop this fungal infection. Its symptoms are almost identical to that of lack of water (wilting) because the roots are not able to supply the leaves with the necessary moisture. Additional watering, in this case, does not cure the problem.

You can try to water only when soil feels almost dry. What is difficult in this case is that there is no way to tell if the plants will make it.

2. Some forms of anthracnose, another fungal infection, can cause the leaves to darken. It starts with dark brown to black circles that spread on the leaf. The leaf looks wilted and eventually falls off. The blotches can spread to the blooms as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea Diseases

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™