garlic spray for tick and mosquito control

lisaloo(MA z6)August 1, 2003

Has anyone tried any of the garlic based sprays for tick and mosquito control? Do they work?

My inlaws have a large 'farm' in NH that includes woods and an unmown field, that is basically crawling with ticks all summer, and unless there's a good breeze (ok, more than a breeze...hurricane maybe?) the air is thick with mosquitos. No one lives there full time, so unfortunately I don't think guinea hens are an option (anyone know if presence of guinea fowl attracts predatory wildlife?).

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drbugman(Zone 7 MD)

Not in my experience. Nothing is more effective (other than long pants!) for mosquitoes than DEET. Here's a link for the Centers for Disease Control's Fact Sheet on mosquito control and avoidance. I suspect that they have something similar for ticks (Lyme disease, etc.).

Regards,
Colin

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC Fact Sheet

Bookmark   August 6, 2003 at 6:17PM
SEMANMD(z6 PA)

I'd like to know if anyone has had success with the garlic spray also. I believe one name brand is Mosquito Barrier and also Mosquito czar.

Bookmark   April 12, 2004 at 11:24AM
BushDoctor(Portugal)

I will use garlic spray tomorrow, i just did for the first time. Tomorrow i will use it, and then i report here, if i had success!

Keep it green!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Spray

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 8:21PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It doesn't repel tick, (or any other insects) because they don't have an olfactory sense like ours, but it sure does repel any humans!

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 12:34PM
chlobo

I'm wondering if there is an update? Did it work?

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 1:38PM
ned76

A friend of mine is a dog breeder in Puerto Rico and lives right next to the jungle. For years she had serious tick infestations and had to use Frontline for her dogs constantly. This past year she started spraying a garlic spray called Mosquito Barrier in her yard once a month and the problem ended immediately. She has not even had to put a single dose of frontline on her dogs since she started. She didn't mention mosquitos, but garlic spray certainly worked for her when it came to fleas and ticks. With summer right around the corner, I am planning on buying some for my land today. Also, about guineas, before we moved onto our land we put some adolescent guineas on it in a strong dog kennel, planning to release them when we were living on the land 24/7. Within a week the coyotes had eaten all 25 of them, they had pried through the chain link. Of course, our land already had coyotes so I can't say they attracted prey animals but the guineas were certainly defenseless from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Spray

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Star Jasmine sick - what's wrong?
I was given a beautiful Star Jasmine Bonsai frommy...
RickysGirl
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food Grade for pests?
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food...
pectin232
Chipmunks tunnelling in garden
Apparently it is chipmunks (not the red squirrels we...
hikerwanda
Please help identify the insect
Hi all, I have recently discovered that one of my indoor...
cooljelly
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™