bag worms

bigdopeAugust 4, 2007

Getting this posted is getting to be exasperating. I think I could get into the Pentagon with less trouble

We've had a good sized dose of bag worms. My question is, we have sprayed (successfully it seems) will my plants come back next year or are we doomed? They are not completely defoliated, but close.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Bag worms or tent caterpillars? Just wondering.

As long as your plants are generally healthy, they can usually tolerate a defoliation. Repeated events are what cause a problem, or a defoliation on top of drought conditions, etc.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 5:11PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

At this time of year trees will be munched on by "Bag Worms" and "Fall Webworms". Both, early in their life cycle are very susceptible to Bacillus thuringiensis - Kurstaki, but it is not effective after they reach about 3 weeks of age.
Whether your tree(s) will be adversly affected depends on how stressed they are by other environmental factors, ie. drought. Defoliation of deciduous trees at this time of year is not as harmful as some think since the trees have stored the energy necessary for future growth and the trees leaves are getting ready to drop anyway.
Those trees will grow leaves again next year, and to help control these wee buggers in early July you can apply a band of a sticky substance around the tree trunk to capture the female moth that will lay the eggs that cecome the Fall Webworms.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 6:42AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

bigdope, have you decided if you have bag worms OR tent caterpillars? It makes a big difference for your control strategies.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
DynaGrow Neem Oil application
Can DynaGrow neem oil be applied using a hose end...
luvpatch2
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
Please help identify the insect
Hi all, I have recently discovered that one of my indoor...
cooljelly
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™