cucumber beetles in great numbers

oak_st(5 Chicag suburb)August 9, 2004

Don't they have any natural predators?

Also, I'm wondering if planting onion family plants near the target plants will help. onion works against Aphids. I had terrible Aphids every year until I did that and now the gourd that is also growing with the onions isn't effected by the CBs either, anybody know?

TsomuchIA

Marianne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WITreeLover(z4 WI)

I was working for the chicago park district this summer and I saw the cucumber beatles everywhere. I did notice a few things though. They seemed to only be active on hot dry days. I never really saw them on cold or rainy days. I also saw birds that were eating them off of some of the plants in the parks we took care of. The bugs only seem to be really attracted to yellow colored flowers or foliage. One of my managers said that using neem or a good insecticidal soap should take care of them.

Bookmark   August 22, 2004 at 12:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pony65(Zone 5)

I've had some success using Fermented Salmon Spray, probably regular fish emulsion would work as well. While the beetles weren't totally eliminated, their numbers have been significantly reduced to where I can handpick them in the mornings.

Pony!

Bookmark   August 24, 2004 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Star Jasmine sick - what's wrong?
I was given a beautiful Star Jasmine Bonsai frommy...
RickysGirl
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
Tiny black hairy caterpillars on ceanothus
Leaves on ceanothus (Joyce Coulter, I believe) are...
dawax49
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™