Yellow Jackets

schzmo(z6a MA)August 16, 2010

I suddenly have many yellow jacket wasps appearing inside my house. This was not a problem last week, when I only found a few wasps which is normal, but since yesterday morning I have probably swatted more than 20 wasps! I have no idea where they are coming from, though they seem to be confined to the lower level and are especially fond of one of the large windows there. The wasps are rather sluggish and are easily caught, but I'm afraid I will get stung one of these days, and as I'll soon be leaving town for a week, I also fear that there may be hundreds of wasps by the time I get back! I'd appreciate any advice on this problem. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are you sure that they are yellow jackets? Just asking.

I'm sure that you are prepared to hear us all remind you that you must find out WHERE they are getting in and fix it. Having any wasps (of any kind) roaming around the house is not 'normal'.

I'll be curious as to what others say about this, as I really don't have anything helpful. I'll stew on it, though. Hmmmm....what would I do?

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 1:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schzmo(z6a MA)

I managed to pinpoint the source this morning. Found an area on the exterior wall where the wasps are coming in and out through a small gap between an electrical box and the siding, and doused it with Raid. Later I heard buzzing noises from a nearby heat/AC vent in the interior of the house. Assuming that was how the bugs were getting in, I closed off the flaps. This seems to have alleviated the situation but, I can't tell whether the nest is on the exterior wall or inside the HVAC system, in which case it's going to be much harder to kill!

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
larve identification
i have a organic compost pile. years of success. i...
bob41
Chipmunks tunnelling in garden
Apparently it is chipmunks (not the red squirrels we...
hikerwanda
Isolating a bed bug colony in my back yard
I recently inherited about thirty boxes of books. They...
Fritzlang
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™