Maggot Infestation in the house

mallomarAugust 4, 2009

Yesterday I noticed a number of 1/2 inch long, white wormy things crawling around aimlessly in the kitchen & family room. I think they are maggots. I vacuumed and washed the floor with a bleach mixture but they were back before the floors even dried. I don't have food around and my trash compactor is clean. I cannot detect where they are coming from. It's like a Stephen King novel. They just appear, only on the floor. The floor is stone tile and the house is only one year old. We had the same thing happen last summer. We live near a horse ranch and we do have fly problems in the summer but we haven't had flies in the house. These maggots in the house are gross. Somebody please tell me what to do!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

If they're truly maggots, you likely have something dead in the wall void, under the house, or in the ceiling void or attic.

So just get rid of what you see and understand that the next phase from the ones you missed will be flies. Then all will be well.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 11:12PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Can you attach an image? It might help us determine if it is, indeed, a maggot, or some other kind of larvae.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 11:33AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If what you do have is maggots they are a symptom of a larger problem and are not the problem itself. You need to look deeper to find out what that problem is.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 7:35AM
anitamo(5)

Can they be the larva from pantry moths, like the Indian Meal Moth? Have you checked all your dry goods and/or pet foods? Just a thought.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 1:23AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It was asked "Can they be the larva from pantry moths,"

Typically, such larvae move upward. Often the complaint is "they're coming out the back of the cupboard and moving up the wall."

That said, an image would help us guess more precisely.

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 11:22PM
aimee_fla_usa

Something is rotting somewhere. Call a thorough pest control company, if it happens same time each year- that is an indicator that they are termite larvae?

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 12:04PM
lazy_gardens

Grain moths will nest in light fixtures, and the larvae land on the floor.

Check your pantry, your pet food, and birdfood supplies.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
Can't get rid of lone rat in my home! Help!
About three weeks ago, I saw a rat running through...
marleysmom44
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™