Discouraging Beavers and Muskrats

annaneaves(Canada (NS))August 31, 2004

My family has a cottage which has a very nice large pond. (It is a man-made pond, this lot used to be a swamp) The beavers moved in right away. We left them for the first year or so until we realized how much damage they were doing to all the trees. Then we had a trapper come out and take them all (he got 6 beavers and two or three muskrats) We havn't yet been able to destroy the lodge, and last year something moved in ofr the summer, it moved out seemingly on it's own. We havn't seen beavers since the trapper left so I think it was probbly muskrats using the old lodge.

Anyway... down to my question.

Is there an easy way to make this pond less hospitable for the beavers and muskrats? I don't want to kill anything, (there isn't anything to kill right now that I know of, I'm just looking to keep it that way) There are sometimes long stretches (especially in winter) that noone visits the property, so it has to be something that would more-or-less take care of itself.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not much you can do in this situation. I am sure you don't want to drain the pond!!! It's sort of like 'if you build it, they will come.'

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Chipmunks in the walls!
I've discovered chipmunks that are getting into my...
dadofsixj
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
Digging pest?
Can anyone identify the pest digging tunnels in my...
vadxx001
boric acid v. 20 Mule Team borax
My beds, yard, and walkways have been invaded by colonies...
Pirata
Yellow Jackets in my house.
Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot...
BobbyA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™