Wasp Next Ate Roof

brucegz(z5 NY)August 22, 2004

Holy cannoli. The nest had been growing for several weeks until it got so big I knew I had to deal with it. It was built between 2 beams on the top roof of my post 'n Beam house. It was huge, approx 1.5 feet out and the same wide.

Bought some Ortho spray and another brand that both advertised shooting 20'+. Stood on the top of the ladder a few days ago and let 'em both rip until exhausted. 24 hours later, no activity. Today, a few days later, took a double poled wood trim saw and stood back on the same ladder and started sawing it down. After the bulk of the nest fell down, I was awestruck at what appears to have happened. The nest and it's inhabitants ate completely through the cedar channel siding and up into the roof section that has access to the master BR. During this same period, we've had 2 large brown bats get into the house but I can't figure it was related. Now I've got the wasp nest's flat section through my roof so the next job will be a complete disection and repair. Can't tell exactly how deep it is until I get in there but it doesn't look pretty.

Lesson learned. Kill early, kill clean. Posted this as a warning to others. What a mess!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marge4838(z5aIL)

Incredible. Did you take any pics? What kind of wasps were they? I've got one persistent one around my front porch. At least I think it's only one, have never seen two together.

Bookmark   August 23, 2004 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
Yellow Jackets in my house.
Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot...
BobbyA
Can't get rid of lone rat in my home! Help!
About three weeks ago, I saw a rat running through...
marleysmom44
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™