budworm caterpillar problem on petunias

asongbird(MAz6)August 28, 2005

Pretty sure I've identified mysterious tiny little black balls on my petunias, which are being chewed unmercifully -- and this has happened "all of a sudden." Budworm caterpillars seem to be the culprits.

Everyone else seems to be using insecticide. But I don't use chemicals in the garden. Any natural predators for these little buggies? Do they bother other plants besides petunias?

Thanks

ASONGBIRD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) is entirely safe to use and is considered an organic treatment. Safe to use even on veggies you'll harvest the same day.

Bt is effective when caterpillars are less than half-grown -- and that's typically the case when those guys chew through your flower buds.

Realize that Bt is an ingredient rather than a brand name. It's available at all large independent garden centers. The easiest way to find it is to ask for a "safe caterpillar killer" or an "orgaic caterpillar killer."

If you don't want to do that, it's search-and-destroy mission. But lots of luck, this because they assume the color of the flower or leaf they ate.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
Digging pest?
Can anyone identify the pest digging tunnels in my...
vadxx001
Yellow Jackets in my house.
Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot...
BobbyA
Chipmunks in the walls!
I've discovered chipmunks that are getting into my...
dadofsixj
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™