Novice needs advice - Endless Summer

oakleyokJune 22, 2009

We built a very large addition onto our home, house faces a new direction (in the country we can get away with that, lol), so now I have all new flower beds. I'm back to square one and I'm growing things I've never grown before, which is a lot of fun!

Central OK., Zone 7. Hot as all get out. We haven't been this hot (100) at this time of the year in ages.

Over a week ago I ordered an Endless Summer H. I received it today in perfect condition. It was still wet and had three very large blooms. The leaves are fantastic looking, the plant is almost 3 feet tall and semi-bushy.

I need to talk to real people here instad of reading numerous websites, which I'll also do.

I soaked the H. and set it in the shade on the porch. I don't plan on putting it in the ground until early tomorrow morning so it can acclimate to this heat.

I plan to put it on the east side of the house where it gets filtered sun all morning, then it starts to get shade in the late afternoon. I watched that area all morning, and there will be times off and on it will get direct sun because as the sun moves west, the tree won't shade it for a couple of hours.

Because of this heat, does my poor plant even have a chance to survive, or do you think it will be okay?

How much water does it take? I plan to mulch it very well.

I'm in love. I've never seen such a beautiful plant in real life before, no one I know has one. The scent is intoxicating!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning when I opened this package. lol.

I bought it from Carrolls Garden if anyone is interested. Very pleased!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oakleyok

I read to snip the spent blooms on the plant, so there was a very large white one, that I thought was "spent." After I cut it and inspected it closely, it had a lot of fragrance to it, and I noticed some of the flowers had a very light pink around the edge.

I know I didn't hurt the plant, but did I by chance cut a new bloom that hadn't turned color yet? lol Do they bloom in white and then turn colors? Mine are pink. For now. :)

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 3:14PM
rob_r(5)

I'm in SE Michigan(zone 5). Mine gets good AM sun and filtered PM sun and has done well. I am not sure about planting in high heat, but endless summer does require alot of water when its hot. If the leaves are droopy - it's probably thirsty.

Also, blooms start white with a little color on periphery and gradually turns more pink (or blue). The flowers last about 2 weeks in michigan.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 12:17PM
amberroses(10a)

You have a good location. You may want to make sure it is sheltered from hot dry winds. Water it every day for a while, maybe twice a day if it stays super hot. It will probably wilt. They are big drama queens. It will perk back up if the leaves haven't turned crunchy.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™