Possible solution for citrus leaf-miner ?

tired_of_digging(z10)September 8, 2006

This required a large selection of trees to verify or disprove my theory, and possibly lots of space to accomodate all of these. I basically have one of each of those: Calamandrin, Limequat, lemon and 'Chinese orange'. The Chinese orange and lemon are in my garden. The Limequat is in a pot with garden soil, and the Calamandrin is potted with my potting mix, containing equal parts of washed sand and peat + fertilizer.

All but the Calamandrin (Not sure of the spelling) have succumbed to the citrus leaf-miner. In spring, the infestation caused fertilized flowers to drop. The Calamandrin had yellow leaves and did not flower, but was not infected. The Chinese orange had a milder infestation, and is setting fruit in autumn along with the Calamandrin. The others did not even flower.

My observation was that the leaf-miners avoided the calamandrin. Strange enough, but another article which I have found on http://www.sare.org/sanet-mg/archives/html-home/32-html/0482.html refers to soil nutrients affecting resistance to leaf-miners. That made me think: If the soil chemistry did affect availability of nutrients, which in turn affected resistance, was my potting mix (50% sand + 50% peat) a good solution ? Is the mixing ratio an ideal one ? I had lots of success in growing cacti and succulents, and even trees (mulberry, brachychiton, tamarind) and especially cacti seem to prefer it over pure peat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Perhpas the folks on the Citrus Forum would be of help.

It's at
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/citrus/

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Forum

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
boric acid v. 20 Mule Team borax
My beds, yard, and walkways have been invaded by colonies...
Pirata
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™