Paper Wasp Problem

CandiceRae(8b)September 24, 2012

Please Help! These guys have gotten so aggressive I can't even set foot in my garden without being attacked. I really like the little guys since they look cool, and keep all the other garden nasties from munching on my veggies. Earlier this year I removed a couple of large nests from some wind chimes hanging in the tree in the middle of my garden. They seemed to disappear for a while before they took up refuge in another wind chime hanging on my porch right above my favorite chair. They weren't building a nest though. Since then I've spotted huge clusters of them huddling in any structure they can find, and although there's no nest to protect they are still just as aggressive as ever.

I just want to be able to work in my garden without having to kill them all. Is there some organic method I can use to keep them at bay while still allowing some of them into my garden?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There are several species of wasps that build those paper nests and the most aggressive species is the Yellow Jacket. There is no real way to calm the wasps down if they are the Yellow Jackets, the other species, I have found, arenot all that aggressive or need control.

If this nest is somplace that really needs removal and is fairly small a cheap hair spray can be used to control them so the nest can be removed. Or you could, at night, bag the nest in an opaque plastic bag.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Wasps

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Candice, can you describe the nests? I'd also like an idea of the kind of numbers we're talking about.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
Yellow Jackets in my house.
Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot...
BobbyA
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
boric acid v. 20 Mule Team borax
My beds, yard, and walkways have been invaded by colonies...
Pirata
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
Sponsored Products
"Chloe's Tree I" Giclee - MULTI COLORS
$249.90 | Horchow
Grapheme Personalized Framed Wall Decor - 24W x 18H in. - WAL-004-F
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Anji Mountain Rugs Mocha Paper Shag 4 ft.
Home Depot
Spirit of the Earth Art Print
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Paper Cut Paper Lantern
$7.99 | zulily
Round Paper 10 Bulb String Lights
Cost Plus World Market
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™