Mudhills? What makes them

poobalooSeptember 16, 2007

Ok I've read some of the forums and they all say that below a mudhill you should find a tunnel. I can't!

We have small mudpiles showing up in our grass overnight. About 1 per night. 4-5" in diameter. Go out with a small shovel, it's easy enough to scoop the dirt away, and the ground below seems relatively undisturbed, aside from the pile of dirt that's somehow been dug up.

Even took a large shovel, and dug out 1' around, and do not see tunnels leading off any way in particular.

They are showing up in close proximity to each other, about 2' or so apart, in a random fashion.

What is doing this??

-mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Perhaps worms?

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 6:19PM
poobaloo

In my digging I did see some worms in the ground... but why would they make neat little piles of dirt on the surface? And 5" in diameter? I presume they are pretty well distributed around the whole yard, after all they're just worms which are common here.

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 6:49PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There is a very large variety of critters that would make mud hills as you have described, but at 5 inches in diameter it is not likely to be earthworms, or spiders. Possibly a toad or some other similar insect predator.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
Chipmunks in the walls!
I've discovered chipmunks that are getting into my...
dadofsixj
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™