Ever tried a 'Piss Off Plant' or know where can find?

digsdahlias(z8WA)September 13, 2005

Hi, I was told to try a "Piss Off Plant" for my raccoon problem, apparently this plant is supposed to keep dogs and cats out of the garden. I'd never heard of it before. Has anyone tried it or knows where to find it?? Thanks, Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Coleus canina is the Latin name for the plant you are looking for. I'll bet you'll have better luck finding it if you use the real name!

Bookmark   September 14, 2005 at 1:50PM
username_5(banned for no reason)

While the plant is commonly refered to as coleus canina and the mythology says it is from a german hybridizer, it isn't a coleus at all nor is it a hybrid, it is a Plectranthus (a genus of the mint (Lamiaceae) family).

I am not sure what schmuck claimed s/he hybridized it from coleus, but the truth is it isn't a hybrid, it is a native to Africa and India.

With commercial origins steeped in lies it probably won't surprise you that animals are indifferent to it (just as mosquitoes are indifferent to the so called 'mosquito plant'). There isn't a single reputable study showing it to have any deterent effect on cats, dogs, raccoons or anything else (other than some humans ;-). About the only place you will find claiming the plant repels cats and other animals are on sites selling it and individuals who were taken in by the hype.

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 11:21PM
doug3319(7)

I am looking for Coleus Canina Hybrid seeds or plants.I have a cat problem and have been told that these would help.I saw a message on the forum from a woman in Georgia that said she had plenty of seeds but can't locate her again on the forum.

Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 10:52AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Doug, rather than hitchhiking on a 4 year old thread, you'll get some helpful answers if you post this question in your own thread. Just a suggestion.....:-)

Personally, I'd not work too hard in locating the plants or seeds....it's nothing but a marketing ploy. It won't repel cats.

Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 12:50PM
kitt1971

www.Richters.com

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
boric acid v. 20 Mule Team borax
My beds, yard, and walkways have been invaded by colonies...
Pirata
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
Isolating a bed bug colony in my back yard
I recently inherited about thirty boxes of books. They...
Fritzlang
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™