Lady bug larvae or pest?

aznboi385September 30, 2011

I've come across lots of pests in my garden and I've been killing everything I see. I've been killing this weird looking bug, but now I think it may be lady bug larvae. Can someone tell me if this is a ladybug or some sort of other pest? I THINK the other dots in the pic are aphids.

I've hose them down and sprayed them with a mixture of soap, garlic, onion, pepper and crysanthemum. I'm not seeing much difference yet. The leaves are curling up and looking pretty bad right now. Some of them have this weird pattern on them. Is there anything else I can do?

Also, is there a spray that can kill grasshoppers? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aznboi385

And also, since I've been spraying the leaves with the soap stuff, wouldn't that kill the ladybug larvae too? What am I to do...

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 9:57PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The leaf that resembles a curled up wad likely has lots & lots of aphids on the back. Remove it.

The leaves with the squiggly patterns have leafminers

The larvae (black & orange ) is a ladybug youngster. The small dots are aphids.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 12:32AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The orange and black thingy there is the larva of the Lady Beetle. Whether Insecticidal Soaps will harm them is debateable with some reports indicating yes and others indicating no. That larva can help control the Aphids, but you can do little about the leaf miners once the eggs hatch and they burrow into the leaves short of squishing them.
The real question is why so many insect pests? Aphids are known to be attracted to plants growing in soils with an over abundance of Nitrogen, plants with lush green growth and there is much evidence to indicate other insects are also. What does a soil test say about nutrient balance?

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Star Jasmine sick - what's wrong?
I was given a beautiful Star Jasmine Bonsai frommy...
RickysGirl
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
Can't get rid of lone rat in my home! Help!
About three weeks ago, I saw a rat running through...
marleysmom44
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™