Giant Pumpkin

NLG1(7b-8a)April 27, 2005

Has anyone tried growing a giant pumkin hydroponically and been successful?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adrianag(AL z7)

I would love to somebody try pumpikins AND tomatoes. I don't see why they wouldn't beat the pants off of conventionally grown ones as long as you follow the other tricks of growing large vegetables, such as removing all but 2 or 3 fruits off a tomato plant, etc...

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 2:02PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Giant pumkind have giant root systems, they burry the vines on both sides of the fruit and some even deprive the seedlings of light to get em spindly then burry them up to there cotoledons. try it, and keep the rest of us informed.

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 11:30PM
egnilk66(9 - Southern California)

I am growing some. The plant is almost three feet long. The leaves are large. But, they're gradually yellowing. Any ideas??

PH looks good, water is a medium drip....maybe a gallon or two an hour. What is it??

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 10:04PM
Karen Pease

Yellow leaves can indicate a lot of things. Root rot is one possibility. How do your roots look?

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 3:12PM
freemangreens(Zone 10 CA)

:egnilk66:
Yellow leaves 'usually' mean either too little light or too much water. I'd increase the light and back off on the water.
A gallon or two an hour may be fine for several plants (or a swimming pool!) but if it's just one plant, that's probably your problem.
As long as there are several other strong, green leaves, hack off the yellow ones as they'll die anyway. Your plant will be stronger.
What is your growing medium?

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 10:25PM
micah_cnc

It's time to start thinking on pumpkins. I've considered a 5 gallon bucket hydro DWC system. Seems to be working so far for my DWC tomato plant. Any comments on 5 gallons- maybe need more than 5? I envision a ramp from the bucket down to ground level. Or I could bury the bucket part way. I'm not trying to enter a contest. Hopefully grow 3 or 4 'kins about 10-20 lbs to share with my friends.

Cheers!

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 12:59AM
homehydro

Scott,
From what I saw, the product on your website is not FREE as you said. The shipping said it was free, but your charging $5 for the Trial Pack (+tax, there wouldn't be any tax on a free item either). That's what I would consider false advertising, and that's not a good impression. Certainly makes me feel like the post was just a ploy to post a link for a misleading statement, and the word "FREE" was just thrown in to get them to click on the link and view the product (bad ethics).

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Is a Tower Garden really worth $500?
I am considering buying a Tower Garden (towergarden.com)....
rick_merlander
PVC Tower System - Adding oxygen mid-stream
I have built my first hydro system from 4" PVC...
topher_cohen
cilantro grow questions
I am new to hydroponics and thought i would start with...
morb1lee
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
beginner needs help growing english ivy hydroponically
I'm doing a little experiment with growing English...
jentsu926
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™