Root rot on new plants

twoyys(Honolulu, Hawai)April 1, 2008

When I transfer the net pot rooted plants(lettuce to my hydroponic system it rots away. New roots donot form and the existing just rots away. I was told the pipe is too hot and or the water is contaminated. Some one at the hydroponic store told me to add hydrogen peroxide. Any help appreciated. My system is 2 inch PVC pipe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dripguy

Are you getting good drainage or flow?
Is the water stagnating?

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 10:31PM
twoyys(Honolulu, Hawai)

Its gravity flow. Maybe I need to increase the pitch? It is about one inch to ten feet slope. It is free flow, pump up and gravity back to the holding tank. Also do I need to sanitize the sysrem. Maybe it needs a clorox flush? There is evidence of algae in the pipes. Holding tank is aerated by aquarium pump. Thanks any way, any comment appreciateed.

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 2:14PM
willardb3

Flush with 1000 ppm hydrogen peroxide and not clorox.

The algae will reduce flow in the pipes significantly. Make everything you can opaque if it is growing algae. Put a filter on the pump intake and return and clean them frequently.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 8:25AM
twoyys(Honolulu, Hawai)

Thanks for the information. Some one at the hydroponic store told me to add hydrogen peroxide to the water to control algae growth. Is it okay, what is the proportion I should use? Any help. Also is it the hydrogen peroxide you buy at the drug store.

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 4:26PM
greystoke(South Africa(11))

twoyys wrote:
. . . Also is it the hydrogen peroxide you buy at the drug store.

The drugstore sells 30% peroxide. For our use you need about half strength. (see: Oxyplus)
Ask the chemist to dilute it for you, or else use half the recommended dosage. You can use an old 5mL syringe for measuring.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 1:25AM
grizzman

most over the counter H2O2 is only 3%, not 30%. I have always been curious where a good local supply for the stronger stuff was.
My understanding is the best way to control algae growth is the take away its light source. How about painting all your pipes black or covering them with black plastic?

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 9:59AM
greystoke(South Africa(11))

grizzman wrote:
most over the counter H2O2 is only 3%, not 30%.

Grief! First time I hear of that! Isn't the 30% available in your parts of the world at all?

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
New to Hydrophonics
Hello all ,Im new to the Hydro thing. Im going to start...
fespo
Online Hydroponics Management Program. PonicsPal!
I developed an online hydroponics management program...
PonicsPal
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
New to hydroponics
I just found out about the idea of hydroponics after...
kesaber
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™