Lakeside Cha Cha difference in 2013/14

paula_b_gardener 5b_ON(5b)June 12, 2014

I am hoping that the difference between the 2013 plant and the 2014 plant is due to it being such a late spring. Last year it looked so much better. The eye count went down by 2. 2013 there were 20 eyes and this year only 18.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary4b(4b WI)

Hi Paula, I hate it as well when the plant seems to go backwards...I would be curious to know when a plant does the "new eye" formation. Assuming that it didn't LOSE any of the new eyes, than you might be able to say that the plant doesn't like the location. On the other hand, if it lost already formed eyes in the spring due to rot, etc, than maybe it was just the weather. Hopefully folks get what I'm trying to say... It would be neat to hear from the "scientists" on why/when eyes are lost.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 12:57AM
bernd ny zone5

Yours still looks good. The last winter must have affected several of my hostas, they got smaller. Some had sad leaves, but get good leaves now. My h. 'Lakeside Cha Cha' was growing bigger every year, except last year it started to get smaller, now even much smaller. I have no voles there, no tree roots, so perhaps a soil condition. I will give it a last chance with fresh soil in a pot.
Bernd

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 7:28AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

When a plant diminishes from one year to the next, that means something stressed it or is stressing it significantly. Most likely it happened the year before, something like drought, root competition, crown rot, removal of leaves from hail or other damage, moving it or a vole attack. There could be other reasons as well. It's hard to know without knowing the cultural conditions and or history of the plant. But something certainly interrupted the normal growth cycle. Usually you can figure it out if you think about it long enough. Sometimes you have to dig it to be sure.

Steve

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
donrawson
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
Always trying something new !
Well, if all your prime planting spots are full.. You...
leafwatcher
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™