How to shade macs

ivysmomJune 9, 2011

Has anyone here built anything to shade their macs? I am moving the ones in pots around the yard to see where they do best, and there doesn't really seem to be an "ideal" spot as we have no trees in the yard. The only shade is around a storage shed, and even with that, there's still pretty bright sun 5-6 hours a day.

So, I'm thinking of building a pergola to cover the areas where the macs will wind up... or maybe a plant umbrella or... heck, I dunno. A pergola would look nicest.

Anyone here done something like this or seen something like it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

I added a pergola, some trees (still small) and I have seen others use shade cloth.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 5:28PM
ditas

I have created a temporary trellis/arbor inexpensively w/ plasti-coated poles, plasticoated garden wire fencing material & & garden wire all bought from HD! Very easy to put together what's more easy to relocate. I used garden shade fabric on top while waiting for potted Sweet Autumn Clem to climb over the wire ~ this climber did not disappoint!

I thought to do this when we cut down a tree that shaded my 20y/o Nikko before I could move her to a p/s site!

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 7:57AM
ivysmom

ditas -
Do you happen to have a photo of that? I'm trying to picture what it looks like, and not quite getting there.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 2:50PM
ditas

Hi Ivy ~ I do have the current one posted ~ let me add the first temp one I did in 2009 to show better & post for you ~ very easy & functional even if it won't win any awards!!! LOL

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 7:11PM
ditas

Hi again Ivy ~ as promised here are pix I pulled to add to this existing album for Clems to climb over. SAC (Sweet Autumn Clem) if planted early in Spring can easily cover the top of the trellis/arbor of plasti-coated poles & fencing wires to shade your mac as it did mine. As I posted above I ended up relocating Nikko & had to dig up & potted Sac. I dismantled trellis/arbor rebuilt as you'll see in this album.

Click to pix to make bigger. 'Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy trellis/arbor

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 8:38PM
ivysmom

Ah yes, thank you so much!! Now I can see exactly what you're talking about, and it looks easy enough :)

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 11:03AM
ditas

Welcome Ivymom ~ won't get an A for attractiveness but functional enough & for my purpose ~ SAC' will be the show in Sept. Actually SAC in now touching the top & soon fill it as she did in '07. I put her in the ground towards the end of May ~ had I put her in sooner she'd be crawling on top by now & shading my 2 Macs.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™