Help! My dog ate my Little Honey.

shianlottaJune 1, 2011

Okay, no, not really. But he definitely trampled my newly planted Little Honey, knocking off its one leafing branch. I have trimmed off said branch and am attempting to root it using advice from this site.

But the poor little stub... there's about an inch of trunk/branch peeping up above the soil. I literally just planted it a couple of weeks ago, so I was Really Sad about its destruction. Do you guys think it might survive? Is there anything I can do to help it pull through?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Dogs and gorgeous gardens can co-exist but it isn't always easy- you have to stay two steps ahead of them and think everything through from their viewpoint and their eye level.
I have literally over 250 of these little cages around plants.

My dogs are 180-200 lbs. and the puppies are very clumsy and the cages do work.
It's just enough of a deterrent to cause them to go around instead of through LOL.
I buy the fencing in bulk and cut to fit.
When the plant reaches a size where it can hold its own I cut the cages off and discard them.

I also think it is important to keep some paths clear.
My beds have room between the fence and the plant farthest back for the dogs to run.
They're gonna do it regardless so I just incorporated that thought into the bed designs.
And everything is dog proofed- even those reindeer there are impaled on steel fence posts driven deep.

As far as your damaged plant, cage it and watch it- that's about all you can do.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 5:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shianlotta

Wow, thanks. I do have to put up some fencing to keep him out of the plants... living in brooklyn as I do, I don't have a massive backyard, and the portion with plants can easily be fenced off. My guy is only 25 lbs, but he's a barrel of a French Bulldog AND a puppy. Haha.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™