Aphid control for peppers in container plants

victw(10 So CA)October 13, 2006

Bought a pepper plant on a lark a couple of weeks ago. But since people grow tomatoes year round here - I thought maybe the pepper plant might make it.

Problem is - I have what I think are aphids. I can't hose down - since these are watered by hand on the apartment balcony.

This pepper plant is next to my 2 rose bushes and a tomato. I can live with some aphids - but do not want them going to the roses.

I have sprayed by hand under the leaves with a hand sprayer - but it is not strong like a hose would be?

I do have some insecticidal spray. I bought "Concern" last summer - the active ingredient is "potassium salts of fatty acids." But I am trying to use less sprays.

Questions are:

1) Would planting something in another pot that would attract the aphids help? Does this work with containers? Is that a silly question?

If a "trap" plant would help - what do you suggest?

2) Is using this spray a problem - or not something to worry about?

3) Did I spend way too much money on soap? Did a google search for "potassium salts of fatty acids." They refer to it as a soap. Would it have worked just as well to use dishwasher soap?

Thanks.

Vicki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

1. No. No. No
2. No; it's insecticidal soap -- safe for edibles.
3. No, dishwasher soap isn't as good.

And you can squish 'em. too. Very satisfying!
:>)

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 7:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The commercial insecticidal soaps are entirely different that dish soaps, which are detergents. The latter also contain additives that don't do anything to aid in the control of your insects and often cause serious problems for your plants!

Just read and follow the directions carefully. And keep an eye on those tomatoes and roses.

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
Isolating a bed bug colony in my back yard
I recently inherited about thirty boxes of books. They...
Fritzlang
Chipmunks tunnelling in garden
Apparently it is chipmunks (not the red squirrels we...
hikerwanda
What animal is digging this?
Saw this a couple weeks ago and it wasn't that bad,...
JackOfSomeTrades
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™