Hydrangeas leaves turning white!

hoosier2bJune 18, 2008

I'm completely perplexed and would greatly appreciate any and all help. I have a 4 year old Nikko Blue who has been doing wonderfully with the exception of this year. Many of it's leaves, particularly the youngest have turned white, and will eventually drop off. I don't believe it's chlorotic (sp?), as they are virtually white, not light yellow with green veins, also, it is not powdery mildew or a fungus on top of the leaves. The plant is currently in bloom and doesn't seem affected in any other way. I apply fish emulsion monthly and for the last 2 weeks, Ironite (just to be on the safe side). Should I be concerned? P.S. I've tested the soil ph and it's right on target.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Sounds like too much sun. Sunscald can turn the leaves yellow or bleach them. After a while, they will brown out if nothing is done. This usually occurs to the leaves in direct contact with the sunlight. Leaves located further inside the bush will remain green. If this is the case, you may need to provide the bush with more shade or consider tranplanting it.

The other time when you can see white leaves is when you apply winter protection techniques such as covering the bush with leaves or cardboard. If the bush breaks dormancy before the winter protection measures are removed, the shrub's leaves and stems that develop will not be able to use the sunlight to produce chlorophyll and will look white. Once the leaves are removed, the leaves turn green in a week or so on their own.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
Kristin
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
Sponsored Products
AndTradition | Bulb Pendant Light
$185.00 | YLighting
Vitra by Nameeks WJ Toilet - VITRA 4328-003-0075
$704.91 | Hayneedle
MaxLite RR62630W 6 inch can LED Retrofit, 3000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Seda France Japanese Quince Toile Pagoda Candle
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Swanky Gray Niko Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus