SIMPLE Aquaponics

MattyG515(5B)May 25, 2013

I saw a video on YouTube and thought it'd be a fun project for my son and I. We have a beta fish in a small container with and avocado seed. I know at some point in the near future the water and little fish will not sustain the avocado. So my question is, what then? Will my fox farms nutes kill the Beta? Is there a different type of nutes, or fish for that matter, that I should use when the time comes? Is this even possible to keep both healthy and happy in the same compntainer throughout their life span?
TIA
Matty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grizzman

I suspect that before the fish 'emulsion' can't sustain the plant the roots will fill the container and kill the fish.
If you search this forum for aquaponics, you'll find some decent discussions on it (as well as some less fruitful) as well as links to better sites.
from what I've read on those threads and/or sites, you need a lot more fish to provide ample emulsion for the plants. Also, some fish are better suited to surviving in water with high fertilizer concentrations. Typically, the discussions revolve around edible fish as aquaponics normally tries to capitalize on the dual food source perspective.
As advacodo grow into a tree, it may not be the ideal plant to experiment with aquaponics on. However, best of luck with it. At the very least, your son will get some nice action / consequence learning from the project.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Indoor Hydroponic Run on Solar
I have a plan to run a small indoor hydroponics setup...
beefsteak89
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
What can I do to learn more about planting or farming????
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
Kratky Method Lettuce
I have been growing lettuce indoors using the Kratky...
nuverde
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™