Nutrient Overload, what to get for vegetable garden

Shifty2112May 19, 2013

Ok, so I go in the local hydroponics store and looking at all the nutrients, asking a few questions, told the store employee I am looking to grow tomatoes, Strawberries, Lettuce and some herbs like Basil, Parsely and etc... I picked up some Aqua Flakes A & B. on second week now with it. Cucumbers are taking off from seed and the tomatoes roots are starting to grow pretty good. Strawberries struggling, but I think because my PH level was too high. I moved them into the same system as the cucumber to see if that is better.

Now, my question, I am looking at all these different additives, things to add to enhance the plant growth and etc... Now, it seems like this stuff is more directed toward the Medical you know what plant. I am not interested in growing that :) Is all this stuff in the store pretty much directed toward that line of plants? Is it really needed for my vegetable garden. I also went to a open house today at the store and some vendors were there, asking questions, I had the feeling they really did not think I was growing stuff you eat and not smoke. The amount of people there and the looks of most of the people seemed I was not in a garden show for vegetable growers if you know what I mean.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ricone

Go to your state Land Grant University and search Hydroponic Vegetables. Most of the Information will be for Commercial operations, But you should Gleam enough Info to stat away from Hydro store Fertilizer.

My university recommends 2 parts Triple 20 to one part Episode salts at 800PPM and 6.5 pH. I am doing Dutch buckets and it works for me. I bought a pH meter and EC meter(PPM) from E bay pretty cheap and they work good.

Strawberries I am thinking use a 9-15-30 Blend, But look for yourself because I don't grow Strawberries.

Triple 20 is a standard Green House Blend with Minors. There are many Brands on the market and they are all the same. Jacks, Peters, K Gro, and Even Miracle Gro are some of those Brand Names. I buy an off brand in 25 lb bags for $ 19.50 plus tax. 4 pound of Miracle Gro is like $ 12.00. Same stuff different name.

One thing I will add. MMJ forums have a lot of very knowledgeable people. You don't have to grow it to learn from those people. Between that a University Website you should find all your questions.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:03AM
chuck(Z10,SW FL)

southern agriculture and pesticides. makes around 4000 gallons. Also, calcium nitrate and epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) are added.. Bottom line is around 2 to 3 cents a gallon.

This post was edited by chuck on Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:14

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:12PM
Ricone

I will second Southern Ag as a good supplier. I know for a fact they supply the Commercial Strawberry Growers in Ruskin Fla.

BTW there was a Bumper crop this year and Strawberries are Cheap right now.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
coco peat as a medium
I have been using cocopeat for a very short while,...
theflgardener
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
Starting plants from grocery store cuttings
This is something that I have been playing around with...
Kyle A
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™