Which Beetle and How to Get Rid of Em'?

VmusicVDecember 1, 2012

Hi,
I have some beetles infesting my Mom's house which is a manufactured home. It started about a month ago.

They appear each morning primarily on the window sill in the living room. They're dark brown in color. Here's a link to some pictures:
http://www.kerezyfamily.com/bugs/BugPictures.php (see the attached/provided link)

In this corner of the living room there's no food of any kind. Someone suggested a drugstore or cigarette beetle, but I'm confounded as to what the food source might be.

Any ideas on what these might be, and how to get rid of them?

Thanks
Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Bug Pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Likely drugstore beetles. Too big to emerge from pinholes. Further, they don't eat wood (Ha! that's one of the few things they don't eat)

They gather at windows because they "know" that light means the way out. Unfortunately, they don't know about windows which block the way out.

Drugstore beetles may originate from a number of food sources, among them craft supplies (dry seeds, dry flowers, feather, and more); a seed stash in the wall (e.g. from mice, squirrels or other critters; leather; wool; drugs; and books.

One of our office workers finally located the source for his beetles: the grain filled neck warmer that one heats briefly in the microwave.) Have a grain-filled pillow?

So keep looking. Once you find the source, destroy it, then follow-up for any yet to emerge.

Generally, tracing the origin of these beetles tend to be a person's new hobby, even if only for a while.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 5:56PM
VmusicV

Hi,
Thanks for the information. How far from the food source will they travel, and wouldn't you expect to see a few of them along the trail?

Other than an incredible macro picture - is there any other way to definitively identify a drugstore beetle from a woodborer?

Thanks!
Beetled Out in Buffalo

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 8:21PM
VmusicV

Hi Again,
Somebody from the Ohio State University Extension office suggested it might be a false powerpost beetle, not a drugstore beetle.

See the attached picture...... they look SO SIMILAR!!????

It's so important because the treatment is totally different.

Thanks Again!!

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
Tiny black hairy caterpillars on ceanothus
Leaves on ceanothus (Joyce Coulter, I believe) are...
dawax49
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
Star Jasmine sick - what's wrong?
I was given a beautiful Star Jasmine Bonsai frommy...
RickysGirl
Digging pest?
Can anyone identify the pest digging tunnels in my...
vadxx001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™