New Japanese inspired garden-suggestions

stevegaApril 25, 2006

I have recently moved into a new house and have several areas for gardens. There are some large rocks in one area so I have begun to create a Japanese style garden in that area (a triangle 40'X30'). It is largely in the sun.

So far I have a rock for sitting, an elevated serpentine flowering cherry, 2 mugo pines, a Jane Kluis pine, some ilex crenata for mounding, repens junipers and some small sedum for color. I would very much like suggestions on improvements in rock/plant placements. I can move all but the large flat sitting rock.

Would it make sense to add japanese maples (or plums) just outside the border to provide shade?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kal2769(Zone 8)

In my town there is a lot similar to yours that has three large bloodgood maples growing as understory trees arranged in a triangle. I would place them 9 ft apart in an obtuse triange shape with the longest side opening onto the garden measuring at apx. 15-20ft. If you are planning on making this an investment then I'd suggest spending a good amount on the tallest, (middle), maple. The two on either sid may be smaller and less expensive. In this way the three tress appear to be one HUGE tree. I have seen large healthy bloodgood maples at Lowes for relativly inexpencive cost.
I would also consider a water feature.
---Keith

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 10:12PM
stevega

Keith,
Thank you for your input. I had good luck with bloodgood maples in my previous house 50 miles away.
I'm not sure where you are suggesting I put the 3 trees. Would they be in the lawn such that the sitting stone would be midway in the 15-20' opening? That would provide shade to the garden.
Or are you suggesting that the maples be placed behind the serpentine cherry (understory to the large oaks)as a backdrop/border?
I think that Japanese gardens need water features whether actually wet or symbolic. I am waiting to see if the repens juniper or sedum cascade over/around the rocks enough to symbolize water. Also I am worried about the sun and algae growth. Suggestions on type and placement would be most welcome,
Thanks again,
Steve

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 3:08PM
honey_mi(Z5 MI)

Steve,

I've been looking at and trying to find locally, a sport of bloodgood, "Shaina" for my garden. It stays relatively small -- 5' x 5' and is mounding. I'm looking at it for color and think it might work for you, too, and it would be a great addition to what you've done already. I'm also thinking a Kousa Dogwood, such as "Wolf Eyes" would be an great understory tree.

What I've done in my garden is include "Asian" elements and plants: Siberian Iris, Tree Peonies, Azaleas, Rhodos, etc. What I'm finding that pleases my eye and continues a calm ambiance, is groupings of the same plant. My garden is 85' x 30'. I'm fairly new at this and am poking along trying different things, adding and subtracting as I go along. It's all an experiment and I'm having fun. Good luck to you on discovering what you like and what pleases you!

I usually hang out over in Perinneals and I'm no expert anywhere. If you're looking to strictly follow Japanese style gardening que's, these folks are great.

If you're interested, below is a link to my garden pix.

Honey

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Inspired Garden

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Scorched Japanese maple
Hi guys I live in Melbourne Australia I have had my...
jamie333
Young Japanese Maple Trunk Rot?
Hi Guys Spring has finally hit Australia and our 2...
AWBL
Do deer damage rhododendrons in Puget Sound?
Has anyone ever experienced deer damage to rhododendrons...
Giacamo
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
Japanese Maple / Acer advice required
Hi all, looking for some advice on jap. maples/acers...i...
ethansky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™