Oakleaf little honey leaves

miclino(5)June 21, 2010

Planted an oakleaf hydrangea little honey a few weeks ago and it seemed to be doing well. It is in sun till 2pm. Does not appear to be in dry soil as the soil at base is moist. The leaves look healthy and new leaves are appearing. Beautiful gold foliage.

Problem is I see some foliage with leaves burning at the end. One of them has reddish discoloration as it burns to a black. Not enough water? Too much water? ideas? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miclino(5)

Pic from top showing some brown discoloration on top leaves. Other foliage looks healthy. No wilting.

A few leaves burning at the ends as you can see. Although I only saw the red coloration on one leaf.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 11:46PM
georgia-rose

Possibly too much moisture. Oakleafs will not tolerate excessive moisture in the root zone.
Withhold water, remove the mulch, wait for a few days and check for soil moisture around the plant. If still damp, there is a drainage problem, that must be corrected, for the plant to survive.
Water only when the top 2-3 inches of soil becomes dry.
½ gal. of water = approximately 1" per ft²

All of my Oakleafs, including 'Little Honey' are grown in either, well drained sandy loam, on a slope (when there is heavy (clay) soil), raised beds (at least 8" above surrounding area) or in pots, with well draining ground bark, perlite and compost mix.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 3:58PM
ego45(6bCT)

Could be an overhead watering, especially in a late part of the day.
There is nothing to be overly worry yet. Plant is still young and need to settle. It will go away after first overwintering.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 8:14PM
miclino(5)

I think you might both be right. I have a sprinkler head nearby and I adjusted it to also hit the hydrangea because I heard they were water hogs. This was three times a week. Needless to say I stopped that a week ago. Have also moved mulch as suggested. It is in a raised bed but unfortunately on a lower corner of the bed. Not much I can do now about that. I should have raised the plant itself slightly higher because I feel rainfall might drain to the lower corner of this bed where the hydrangea is situated. Not much I can do now is there?

Thanks guys. Love the foliage on this plant. I would love it to flower but won't be upset if it doesnt.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon 6a SE MA
Hydrangea Annabelle - Will it grow in Florida?
I fell in love with Hydrangea Annabelle when I was...
love_the_yard
What am I doing wrong???
Each summer I have several "Endless Summer"...
tracey3345
Sponsored Products
6" French Bronze Oakleaf Tube Birdfeeder
Fifthroom.com
Whitehall Oakleaf Frame Plaque 2-line Standard Wall Plaque - 1457AC
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Ginkgo Oakleaf Stainless Hammered Finish Flatware Hostess Set - Set of 4 Multico
$54.24 | Hayneedle
Oakleaf 6 Inch Tube Feeder - 30415
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Metal Oakleaf Hanging Hook - 30250
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Oakleaf Tea Lantern - 30164
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Whitehall Oakleaf Arch Illuminator 1-line Standard Wall and Lawn Plaque - 5693VP
$118.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™