Texas Japanese Gardens photos

davissue_zone9(z9 Sunset 14)October 30, 2005

On my recent vacation to Texas, I made it a point to stop and visit that state's notable Japanese Gardens. Here's a few pictures:

Fort Worth Botanical Garden's Japanese Garden- this was very large, well maintained and very beautiful. Almost every picture I took came out well, there didn't seem to be any angle that there wasn't a pretty vista.

Zilker Park Botanical Garden's Japanese Garden in Austin. This was an interesting garden that used the local limestone as a building material.

This was a very small, well maintained Japanese Garden run by the San Antonio Botanical Garden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Herb

Sue - Those are very interesting pictures. I like what I see in the two San Antonio Botanical Garden views,.

I also like the general layout I see in the middle picture of the Fort Worth garden, but I don't much like the lantern. I think I'd prefer the lantern to stand somewhere less prominent - more discreet if you will. I don't like the rock nearest to the camera either. Maybe it's just the particular perspective, the rock looks as if it's just lying on the surface, ready to roll over and crush the shrub next to it.

I have mixed feelings about the gateway in the third Zilker Park picture. Aside from not having seen a gateway quite like it anywhere else (2 lanterns in what I think is the Kakuashimoto style, flanked by two roofed fence panels) something about it makes me uneasy - maybe it's the proportions - I wonder if it would look better if the fence panels were taller and wider?

Herb

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Herb

Because I was curious to see what the Fort Worth Garden might look like if it used a different rock in the foreground & if the lantern were moved, I've modified Sue's picture. This is what it might then look like.
Click here to see it

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Your Japanese garden questions
There seems to be little new questions on this forum....
ja-gardener
transplanting an older tree in the Summer
I have a 10 year old Japanese maple tree that is in...
ladykatee
Can gravel be kept clean with a leaf blower?
Can graveled areas be kept clean with a leaf blower?...
castorp
Pine Cloud pruning advice
I need some advice on pruning this pine. Here is a...
diyspa
Dwarf Japanese Maple Damage from snow
We just had a severe snow event last week (5 1/2 ft)...
ally77dano20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™