Algae

nu2hydroMay 15, 2013

I am New to hydroponics well i built my system and i i got everything up and running it everything is going great except i started getting algae formation and i built my reservoir out of a clear container so i went and bought a container that light will not penetrate. Now when i sterilize and move everything to my new container how would i go about killing the algae build up on my Rock wool or do i just have to wait till my next crop to make sure it doesn't on my next crop? and i also found what looked like a fungus gnat larva on one of my fired clay pellets just found the one and have combed the system several more times and haven't found any so don't think there will be a problem but what can be used to ensure no problem does arise thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

It's not a big deal. You can mist the top of the cube with a 1% hydrogen peroxide solution to deter the algae.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:22AM
grizzman

you needn't worry too much about surface algae. One fix for both that algae and the fungus gnats is to cover the medium with something like aluminum foil. it will block light to kill the algae and smother any gnats that may hatch.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 12:17PM
nu2hydro

Awesome i was going to use some Kydex i have laying around the house will that work?

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 12:27PM
nu2hydro

Well i am not sure what happened but the Algae stuff that was there is all gone. Well at least it looks like it is i had little greyish green stuff floating all around in it yesterday now i get off work today and the whole tank is clear doesn't seem to be anything floating around at all can it just disappear like that or was i just mistaken?

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 7:29PM
grizzman

it doesn't usually disappear but may have broken up to be less obvious. also, it may have gotten stuck somewhere out of sight like in a pipe or in your medium.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 9:06PM
nu2hydro

well i got to looking and the algae had settled on my heater in my water and on my thermometer.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:40PM
willardb3

Algae is ubiquitous and you can control it but not eliminate it.
Hydrogen peroxide helps control it.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Floating Raft system
i am interesting to build a green house with Floating...
nikolascyprus
8 days into hydroponics- helpppp
Hi everyone, First time with hydroponics and first...
Odarka
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
Hydroponic blueberry, blackberry and raspberry
Hallo, has anybody tried black-, blue- or raspberry...
tomato_tom
Non-profit sustainable farm needs help to re-plumb hydro-system
We had two old hydroponics grow tables both about 4x4...
brettkp808
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™