When to prune Oak leaf hydrangea

botanybabeJune 27, 2009

Hello everyone,

I am a novice at hydrangeas, but I'm a long-time gardener. I have a huge Oak leaf hydrangea that is taking over my whole lilybed. I'd like to cut it back, but I know nothing about when is the appropriate time, or where to prune. It has finished blooming, the heads have turned pink and shrunken about 50%. Would this be a good time? Would I be sacrificing next years blossoms?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lainey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Prune it before the end of June, Lainey. In the South, pruning should be done by June. You probably have some more time than I do but this is a moving target controlled by Mother Nature as they say so, for sure, you will not sacrifice 2010 bloomage if you prune before July. After July, you probably have a few more weeks when it is ok to prune but it becomes more difficult to be accurate. It would definitely help if the plant sent an email saying it has started developing flower buds but oh well... :o)

While you are at it, consider if you need to transplant it since you will eventually have to prune again to keep it in check. Alice for example, can grow 8'x8' by year 10. Both transplanting and pruning can be done now but it will cause a lot of transplant shock to the plant because of the hot summer temperatures and reduced humidity. You could prune now and transplant when the plant has gone dormant instead. Some bloomage may still be lost due to transplant shock but hopefully, it will not be a total loss.

Luis

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 8:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanybabe

Thanks Luis, You're a gem!!! I'll take your advice, but think I'll transplant after dormancy. It's way too hot now.

Lainey

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™