Prunus mume 'Hokkai-bungo' pictures?

oath5(z6b/7a MD)January 20, 2011

I just ordered one of these for our front yard where an old red maple used to be and now that it's sort of bare due to losing the tree in a wind storm, I thought a smaller tree would look pretty there. It looks too naked without a tree. My parent's house is grey with black shutters so I thought the dark-pink/red color would be most stunning against it and the dark yews they have out front. Especially because you don't see too many mume here for some reason. Also when it get's bigger would also be seen from the road, and I'd imagine flowers at the early time this is supposed to bloom would make more than one person slow down I think.

I'm having a hard time finding pictures of this cultivar though, except an old slide photograph. Does anyone have any photos of this plant they could share so I could have a better idea of what to expect my plant will look like eventually? I hear it's really nice.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I'd love to be able to show my family what I decided to buy for them in place of the old tree.

Thanks again.

- Max E.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bosnaidude

Max,

Try photos on Camelliaforrest.com or contact the owners. I drove to the nursery to purchase 2 different cultivars from the nursery 2 years ago and they have just finished blooming. Unfortunately, the cultivar names were written in pencil on the trees. I had left the tags hanging on a branch and the writing has now faded. Another source is Bob Mahler, of Kifu Bonsai. He spent 5 years apprentcing at a bonsai nursery in Japan that had particular interest in Prunus Mume.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
other varieties of cherry blossom trees?
I just planted two Kanzan and one Yoshino cherry blossom...
Socal2warm
Do deer damage rhododendrons in Puget Sound?
Has anyone ever experienced deer damage to rhododendrons...
Giacamo
Can gravel be kept clean with a leaf blower?
Can graveled areas be kept clean with a leaf blower?...
castorp
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
Young Japanese Maple Trunk Rot?
Hi Guys Spring has finally hit Australia and our 2...
AWBL
Sponsored Products
Elegance Silverplated Metal Frame
$14.99 | zulily
Coral Coast Big Daddy Reclining Adirondack Chair with Pull Out Ottoman- Dark Bro
$129.98 | Hayneedle
Rite Lite 8-LED Black Wireless Picture Light with Remote Control LPL601XLBRC
$27.82 | Home Depot
Concept Cordless LED Picture Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
"Lucas" Crystal-Edge Frame 5" x 7"
$595.00 | Horchow
VIG Furniture - Divani Casa Vogue - Modern Fabric Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
Adeco Memories 10-opening Plastic Black Wall Hanging Collage Photo Frame
Overstock.com
Eden Hurricane - Medium
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™