Plant/Tree Suggestions for Zone 10 Japanese Garden?

yangkiJanuary 10, 2007

I need help selecting plants/trees for a small Japanese Garden I am planning in sandy soil mostly shaded by a live oak and neighbor's trees. Tampa Bay is being rezoned from 9 to 10. A dry garden is out of the question with all the summer rain and winter leaf fall. I don't want any grass to mow and it doesn't grow well here anyway. I am in Clearwater near the Gulf of Mexico. Insects abound, but Periwinkles, Spiderwort, Mexican Petunias, Elephant Ears and Papayas grow without care. I am not interested in a high maintenance garden, but don't mind some pruning. My ideal would be stone walks through lush foliage (native to the area that stay where I put them, if possible) with some color variation and an Oriental feel even if it isn't authentic to the Orient. I have an arched Bridge (but cannot put in a stream as the Live Oak roots cover almost the entire yard), stone lanterns, a Buddha statue, three established Gardenia bushes, a teahouse/pagoda (converted shed) and dreams. I don't know where people get large rocks around here, but I see them in other yards and look longingly. Mostly I need suggestions of plants and shrubs I can grow here easily. Thanks. Homagashu Yang Ki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yama(7b Ga)

Hi
I lived in Miami for 12 1/2 years and had a sister in St Petersburg.( she is gone) I was member of Florida Nuseryman and grower associatin ( Dade county)and have runed own nusery for short time.
I forgot many collect spelling of plants and trees of Florida. After I check plant name spelling, I will post it.

What is your garden size will be? . If you can post photo of your plot it will help and tell me direction, north south and shade or full sun. if shaded, moring sun ? or afternoon sun ? how many hours of sun ? or no sun at all?. How far from salt water ? within 2 miles ? or water front?
Do you know how to use growth regulator ? ............
Some time people don't want to answer to questions and I understand it. More you provide informations , you get more usefull sugestions............ yama

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple Cultivars that will root from cuttings:
I caught the Japanese maple bug two summers ago with...
directorrod
Pine Cloud pruning advice
I need some advice on pruning this pine. Here is a...
diyspa
Young Japanese Maple Trunk Rot?
Hi Guys Spring has finally hit Australia and our 2...
AWBL
other varieties of cherry blossom trees?
I just planted two Kanzan and one Yoshino cherry blossom...
Socal2warm
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™