annabelle

arbordayle(6 PA)June 16, 2010

This is the third year for my annabelle and I only see one bud. At least that's better than last summer when I had none. It's in a fairly shady spot and I'll probably move it in the fall. In the meantime, is there anything I can do now to promote more blooms this summer? The shrub is about three feet tall and wide and the foliage looks healthy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

I had that same problem. I posted here, this is many year ago. I was told I had a wild hydrangea. I called wayside. It was two years planted, no blooms and then blooms so small that they are insignificant. So, they sent me a new plant, but then by chance the angel of the sprinklers was altered. The plant began to get much more water, and then it bloomed fine. I then had two plants. Huge blooms like dinner plates, but the second plant, I had squeezed into in area with little room. I tried to take out a small tree, but then it grew back. The second plant took to sagging with the flowers, they were on the ground. So, I removed the second hydrangea and let the small tree grow back. Then we had a cold day last Dec. and the first one died, or at least refused to come back, and I found fuchsia, I wanted to add. Long story, but the heart of it is, I should have tried more water before writing off the first plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of the dinner plate size blooms

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 10:39AM
arbordayle(6 PA)

I should have been more specific in my original post. I have never fertilized the shrub. Will adding fertilizer now do anything to promote more blooms this summer?

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 12:07PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

My Annabelles are nearly 10 years old--and I have never fertilized them. They bloom their heads off with no help beyond plentiful water.

Water, not fertilizer, makes the difference on mine.

Kate

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 6:46PM
arbordayle(6 PA)

Thanks for the replies. I just went out and placed a soaker hose around my annabelle to see if more water might help.

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 8:27AM
gt182

I had the same problem where my annabelles did not bloom 3 years running. they would start to bllom but then never fully develop and would look like a flat lacecap with only a few flowers opened. People told me I probably got jipped with a wild hydrangea so I returned them. They were planted in the shade beneath a river birch, so now i just think they did not get enough sun or water. Anyway, i got 7 new ones planted in another spot in full sun and they have fully bloomed the past 2 years. However, just recently the problem has reared its ugly head again. My blloms are smaller now and not developing fully. From what i read it appears to be iron deficiency either from alkaline soil, too much phosphorous fertilizer,or over-watering. I read that iron deficiency impedes flowering among other things. i just sprayed with ironite so hopefully that will help.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™