PCI article - excel pics

iris_gal(z9 CA)January 8, 2014

Pacific Horticulture magazine has some great PCI pics with their article and a link to Leonine Iris Nursery in Seattle where there is the biggest collection of PCI pics I've ever seen. Small and low in resolution tho.

PCIs are Pacific Coast Iris. I understand they only flourish west of the Cascades.

Distant Nebula at Leonine Iris site

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/pacific-coast-iris/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Bumping down.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:08PM
gardengal48

Thanks for posting this!! PCI's are my favorite type of iris and it is difficult to find many vendors offering much of a selection, even here in the PNW. This is the first I've heard of Leonine Iris - seems they are still pretty new - but I am already planning a visit. I like PCI's cuz they are evergreen and have relatively large, flat flowers for their size that look very orchid-like and in an amazing array of colors. And are incredibly low maintenance plants......dividing almost never required :-)

It may be helpful to explain that PCI's are all hybrids of various west coast native species - bracteata, chyrsophylla, innominata, douglasiana, tenax, and about a half dozen others - and are often referred to by iris aficionados as PCH's (not be confused with the California coastal highway!). The hybrids are a bit tricky to grow and limited in their happiest range but several of the species (tenax, douglasiana) are much more forgiving in their requirements. They just prefer a rich, well draining soil and cool, damp springs and summers. If you can grow Himalayan blue poppies, you grow these guys and a lot easier as well!!

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 4:59PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Gardengal ~ I hope you post pictures!!! PCI's (never thought how PCH could confuse) do well here in the central coast of CA. You probably know Joe Ghio's intros. Putting a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://montereybayiris.org/gallery/ghiopci07.shtml

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
Transplant
Had LA Irises clumping and dug 'em up to replant, but...
George Indel
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™