Tomatoes in a pond

weirdtrevMay 29, 2009

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere but for some odd reason I can't view the threads in this forum right now. I have 2 ponds (preformed plastic ones) and I was thinking about trying to grow a tomato in there just to see what happens. I have a little floating basket to keep the tomato in one spot and keep the fish from eating the roots. The plant itself will be growing on the ground outside of the pond. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone have any thoughts? Basically I want to try my hand at very lazy hydroponics.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corrumpu

I'll bite.

I would wonder if the dissolved oxygen (DO) would be enough to support roots? When plants are grown with submerged roots (DWC / deep water culture) great lengths are taken to ensure the water is saturated with oxgyen using pond/tank aerators. In DWC you can never have too much oxygen.

How would you deliver nutrients to the plants? Tomatoes are heavy feeders and it's unlikely there is enough nutes in the pond water to support tomato plants.

--chris

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 1:33PM
weirdtrev

I guess I will find out if there is enough dissolved oxygen! I have lots of anacharis to supply oxygen and I also have some fountains running. My pond likely has too many nutrients in it and that is part of the reason I want to try what I mentioned. I say this because there is a lot of algae on the sides of the pond. I fertilize my water lilies (following the recommendations)with fertilizer tablets and obviously they don't only fertilize the lilies, they dissolve into the water and make everything fertile. I don't really want a healthy thriving plant (though that would be ideal). I just want something that won't necessarily die, might produce a few fruits, and would be interesting to look at. I know hydroponics can be a lot of work and I just want to see if I can get meager results by doing nothing.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 3:35PM
jean-luc

Hi,
This is my first post in this forum and I am not native english speaker or writer. But anyway.... ;-)

The idea of having some tomatoes growing in a pond is interesting - I was wondering already if such thing is possible, perhaps with other plants. In other words I was thinking of it, but not considering tomatoes.

The oxygen probem could be solved by adding a airpump (stone) near- or directly under the plants (roots)- quite easily, if there are only a couple. The major problem might be the content of fertilizer, amount of makro nutrients and especially calzium. Even if the crops are not big, if they get Blossom End Rot, that would be no fun, right?

There also is the problem of support or fixing them - therefor I would rather chose some smaller variety, even a dwarf variety. Why not floating on some (round) styroform support! ;-)

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
Sea 90 any good?
Is Sea 90 any good for Kratke non circulating method? I...
Lee Williams
Pepper Plant Fruiting
Hi, I am wondering if I can keep continuously fruiting...
StonedTree
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
Sponsored Products
Piccadilly Cookie Jar
$185.00 | Horchow
Cherry Tomato Black Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Clermeil Outdoor Floor Fountain
Overstock.com
Campania International Small Dragonfly Birdbath
SerenityHealth
Tomato Red Marvel Pot
$9.99 | zulily