Fish Emulsion Hydroponics?

piranha338(8/9)May 27, 2008

What do you guys think about using fish emulsion as the nutrient solution(diluted, of course)? I figured it probably has some micro nutrients as well as the "biggies". Just a thought.

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babalubird

Well, Pirranah, I tried to post a similar question earlier today but it didn't post. I was looking at using vermicompost tea with fish emulsion.

If you enter "organic hydroponics" in the search engine, there are suggestions out there, including an interesting article from an old Mother Earth News article: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/1977-03-01/Organic-Hydroponics-A-Simple-Solution.aspx

On page 2 of that article, the author lists a suggested solution made with fish emulsion, compost tea and blood meal--maybe I'm leaving out one or two ingredients, so be sure to read the article.

I am interested in going this route too so let us both post our successes and failures in this area.

Connie

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 6:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greystoke(South Africa(11))

You should bear in mind that your proposed concoction does not contain the nutrients in the chemical form that allows the plants to absorb them through the roots.
The fish emulsion contains nitrogen in the form of protein. For this to become available to the plants, you require a bacterial breakdown process, ie: from protein to ureum to ammonia to nitrite and finally to . . nitrate.
That's not exactly what hydroponics is about.

There is however a lot of interest in finding natural resources (eg: woodash, dolomite, bonemeal and urine) to produce chemically acceptable nutrients.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 3:26AM
More Discussions
Hydroponic blueberry, blackberry and raspberry
Hallo, has anybody tried black-, blue- or raspberry...
tomato_tom
Kratky Method Lettuce
I have been growing lettuce indoors using the Kratky...
nuverde
resident Teal 4s For Sale of Illinois
Quentin Townsend is a resident Teal 4s For Sale of...
daserigunimi
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
Non-profit sustainable farm needs help to re-plumb hydro-system
We had two old hydroponics grow tables both about 4x4...
brettkp808
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™