Thinning lettuce

AndyH777May 23, 2013

Hi all, new to hydro.
I was just wondering if I NEED to thin out lettuce?
Would the excess availabilty of nutrients compared to soil based growing mean I can grow a few inn the same pot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdgrower

No. Keep the suggested spacing. Too dense causes problems with airflow, light, etc. I Learned the hard way. If anything give extra space because hopefully your hydro plants will grow great!

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 1:30AM
fivekulps(6/7LOU, KY)

Thinning is not something I do well. Hate it!!! So this year I decided to germinate the lettuce seeds on a damp paper towel inside a ziplock bag. Waited a day or two and gently lifted the cracked/germinated seedling into its own rock wool cube! I was then able to plop each cube into a bed of perlite, fed by a flood and drain. Results so far are great!

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 9:19PM
GrowersHouse

For production value of having a quality head of lettuce I suggest having one plant per cell and have a minimum spacing of six inches between cells or lettuce plants. Having more than one plant in the same space causes a battle among the roots for nutrients and the shoots or leaves begin to search for light and air causing strange growth patterns. Having more that one plant in a cell is possible but can look unorganized and does not provide quality plant structure and growth time length.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Hydroponics Chillies Problems
Hi everyone. I'm growing some jalapenos and habaneros...
pborgbarthet
8 days into hydroponics- helpppp
Hi everyone, First time with hydroponics and first...
Odarka
Wireless pool/spa thermometer for outdoor hydro grow?
SIAP - I wasn't able to find anything that seemed related...
dustonj2008
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™