by what method is a brand new bearded iris mass produced?

mccommas(z5CT)January 19, 2013

I am curious to know what by what method is a brand new bearded iris mass produced.

Say you got one, just one, iris you grew from seed and it's fabulous. Where do you go from there? How do you get generate thousands of it so you can make a million dollars?

It would take FOR-EVER to do it the old fashioned way. Once you got at least hundreds of them they can multiply them on a farm but how do you get a lot of them in a hurry and ready for market?

Do they perhaps grow them from little bits of the rhizome in petri dishes or something? I have been wondering this for weeks. I got nothing on a Yahoo search. Just junk.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

They do it the old fashioned way. That's why the new intros are expensive, and that's why no one has ever gotten rich hybridizing irises.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 1:12AM
mccommas(z5CT)

Well that sucks. Oh well, at least now I can stop wondering about it.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 8:38AM
eukofios

It's kind of reassuring to know this. I like that it's done the old way. If they were made by tissue culture, I could see a few "perfect" varieties dominating the market. This way it's more diverse. That's just my thought, not based on actual information :)

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 12:04PM
mccommas(z5CT)

If we can clone a sheep; why not a bearded iris?

Oh well...

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 8:15PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I think they can, but irises produce perfect clones of themselves so rapidly and cost so very little already that it would not be a wise move economically to set up massive greenhouses with petri dishes. The other reason it works so well the way they do it now is they have plenty of time, several years, to analyze the plant's quality, how well it does in different weather conditions, how fast it multiplies, and whether there is rebloom. There are lots of things hybridizers consider besides the beauty of the individual bloom. How many buds per plant and how well do they open? Are they all crowded together on the stalk, or spaced out well? Do they all open at once, or do they open one at a time? When does it bloom? Too early and it might get frozen, too late and it might never bloom before frost. A lot of considerations go into the evaluation of a new iris, I guess.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 9:52PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

If we can clone a sheep; why not a bearded iris?

==>>> because the start-up investment .. will not be paid off by the market ...

think of it this way.. exactly how many million iris would need to be sold to pay for the TC process ...

though we are a bunch of collectors.. i doubt the mass markets to be great enough ...

first you would spend $5000 to patent the plant .. then the cost of TC... and pretty soon you need to sell 50,000 of them to BREAK EVEN... let alone profit ...

we here will take the first 20 or 30 .. but who will buy the rest ????

ken

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™