New to forum - question on siberian iris

beverlymnz4January 19, 2014

I have always loved irises and they grow well here. I have been reading old threads and really enjoying them.

I have fallen for two red irises:
Pomegranate Punch and Miss Apple.

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the foliage flopping. Usually Siberians have nice foliage but some is better than others. For example, I have Butter and Sugar that is a little flopped or messy looking compared to the other purple ones that I have.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Sorry no one has an answer. I did see a photo of 'Miss Apple' and the top foliage showing looked straight & upright.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 9:28PM
beverlymnz4

Thanks iris gal. I saw that photo too. I think I shall procede with caution; maybe order one and see how it goes.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:02PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Beverly,
I can't answer your specific question because I have no experience with the iris you have mentioned.

However, my experience with Siberian Iris leads me to believe that there is a great deal of difference between an old standby like Caesar's Brother and the newer cultivars I have planted. CB grows vigorously and provides beautiful foliage that can used in the landscape like an ornamental grass. The foliage on the newer SI just doesn't measure up. I'm hoping that as they mature the foliage might improve.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:51PM
beverlymnz4

Harryshoe, thanks for your input. I have an old standby, Butter and Sugar with foliage that won't stand up. Perhaps I need to leave it in one spot a little longer. Any guess on how long it takes to make a nice clump?

I have another NOID, purple, that stands up strait as can be after only one year. Could be Caesar's Brother or could be not a Siberian at all.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 11:07AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

A mature Caesar's Brother before I divided it into six plants:

CB bloom:

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 12:28PM
casagrande(7)

I also am new to sib iris. I love them. I love the foliage almost as much as the flower itself. do you have seeds to share?

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™