'White Sensation', anyone?!

Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)June 5, 2012

Was out browsing some Forever & Ever specimens, and came across a de-pigmented Early Sensation! Reblooming white mopheads aren't the most common thing in the world... Maybe I should get it patented?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

It looks beautiful. I am looking for a reblooming white mophead that takes alot of bright shade. Never heard of this one. Does it bloom well in the shade? Is it a Forever and ever one? Judy

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 10:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

Most F&E products should do fine in bright shade. Their "White Out" should be easy enough to find.

You've never heard of the one I posted because it's not supposed to exist. I guess this was some kind of naturally occurring sport or mutation I stumbled on. F&E Original ("Early Sensation") is supposed to be pink or blue, because the plants are supposed to be pH sensitive. On this one, the young blooms start out greenish yellow and turn to pure white, which is consistent with other pure white hydrangeas!

The important thing I will have to look for is if they acquire a pink tinge at maturity. This would be most akin to Mme Mouillere or Blushing Bride. However, only Mouillere exhibits serrated petals (like the one I found).

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™