Mini Penny questions

janetpetiole(4b)June 28, 2011

I think this is my first post here. Hi everyone.

I bought a Mini Penny last year. It was planted last fall next to the foundation in a moist spot that receives morning sun. By 11 am it is in full shade, although I suppose you could say it's bright shade. It is blooming now, about a foot high, and 2 feet wide in spots. It looks healthy, and the flowers are spaced nicely around the plant. However...

I thought it was suppose to grow 3-4 feet tall and wide, eventually. I check a few sites last night and saw the size at maturity to be anywhere from 2-3 feet tall to 7 feet tall. Is that due to how much light it receives? I'm assuming that 7 feet tall is an error, but a few sites did list it's height at maturity to be 3-4 feet, and that's what the plant tag stated. The plant tag also stated that is was ok for my zone, but I've seen some sites that state it's zone 6 and above.

If it gets only 2-3 feet tall, I'll need to move it to a different location, but I'll wait until early fall.

Has anyone been growing this plant for a few years? How much light does your Mini Penny get and how tall is it? If my plant is flowering so well, is it safe to assume it's getting enough sun? Does any one have a Mini Penny that is 4 feet tall? What about the zone difference - does anyone have Mini Penny growing in zone 4 successfully?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Seven feet tall? It sounds like an error. As in typing the stats for regular-sized Penny Mac instead of the new Mini Penny.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 11:11PM
ccwinslow(7A)

I have a Mini Penny that's 3+ years old and has reached >4' tall x 5' wide. It gets a little morning sun, mostly shade. Prolific and heavy blooms that flop to the ground. Next year I'll support it. Zone 7A.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 8:49PM
hokierustywilliamsbu

Give it time-does it get killed to the ground every year or do you protect it in your zone?

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™