newby advice

a-mainerMay 8, 2010

Have started with my seedlings for tomatoes, eggplant, basil and thyme. They have rooted so I just transplanted them in the water reservoir and added the gro formula and checked the ph. I intend to keep them growing inside. Should the bottom of the root plug be immersed in the water? Are there any websites for guidance on when to change the light conditions or for other tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joe.jr317

What kind of system? Got pictures? What kind of plug? The rapid rooter types can touch the water, but you might let the water go down a bit from there as the roots develop. In my mind I have pictured seedlings whose roots have yet to reach the outside of the plug. It would be much like the floating plug rafts for the rapid rooters. You transplant once the roots are outside the plug. Of course, if you are using rockwool plugs, I'd say no. They get too soggy and you are more likely to lose plants to damping off.

Do you have all these in the same system?

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 8:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plant_propagation

You can change the light condition of your seedlings once you see true leaves coming, the change in light conditions will depend on the light requirement of the plant youÂre growing, although you can change the light supply of your seedlings to 18 hours as soon as they enter the vegetative stage.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 4:50AM
More Discussions
Hydroponic blueberry, blackberry and raspberry
Hallo, has anybody tried black-, blue- or raspberry...
tomato_tom
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
DWC leaves yellowing
I have a DWC system and am using Rapid Rooter Plugs...
jjocsak
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™