Sutras of Buddhism which have influence to J apanese garden desi

yama(7b Ga)January 27, 2007

Hi all

I know that some folks don't like to see any religion subject on gw j garden forum.But unlike any other type of gardens, Japanese garden had and have strong tie to Buddhism.It is plain history and fact. If you don't like to see religion in Japanese garden forum, Please let's me to know. I will post somewhere else.

For those who are intresting where Japanese garden design consecept come from. I can tell which sutras had great influence to Japanese garden design.

For those who believe that Japanese garden, Flower arrengement,Tea ceremony have nothing to do much with Buddhism, I welcome your opinion.

yama

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

I would be interested to here about Buddhism and the garden ... how about the Heart sutra ??

Good Day ...

Bookmark   January 27, 2007 at 11:29PM
yama(7b Ga)

Hi kid
Heart sutra is widely read by many sects of Buddhism. The Heart sutra is transrated by many Buddhism scholar.It is one of very short sutra. purland buddhism and zen sects use heart sutra to study.but Heart sutra don't link to J garden design.
If you like, I give you name of place you can ask for information about Buddhism in English.
but befor please try to use gogle serch for heart sutra.
My bed time is past few hours ago. I will get back to you later..........................yama

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 4:25AM
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

Ahh .. perhaps you could briefly list the sutras that are important japanese gardens ? Later you can elaborate.

What very little I know of the sutras come from "The Compass Of Zen" by Zen Master Seung Sahn and readings of the Dalai Lama and Osho's books on Zen.

"Form is emptiness ..and emptiness is form" I understood the teachngs of the heart sutra ... could this not be so in the garden ?

Good Day ...

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 4:16PM
yama(7b Ga)

Hi kid
three sutras of pureland buddhism, Amida kyo, Kanmuryoju kyo, Muryoju kyo, Kegon kyo, Bonmo kyo, three of Jizo bosatsu. Jizo bosatus hongan kyo, Nehan kyo. Dainichi kyo.Hokke kyo. ( kyo means Sutra).
Kanmuryoju kyo, muryojukyo, Kegon kyo,Bonmyo kyo have great influence to Japanese garden design. Sutras which zen sect use don't mention any garden. But many zen monks study pureland buddhism and Pureland monks also study Zen.
yama

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Scorched Japanese maple
Hi guys I live in Melbourne Australia I have had my...
jamie333
transplanting an older tree in the Summer
I have a 10 year old Japanese maple tree that is in...
ladykatee
Please help! How can I save my 7' Fireglow??
I really hope someone can help me. I purchased a 7'...
BluRdgMtns
Where can I find buyers for these large rocks/boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™